Saturday, November 12, 2011

Keeping - Shalimar


SHE was a blue jeans and flannel shirt kind of girl.  Nothing fancy about her really.  Back in the day (oh how I love to say that), girls in Tennessee only wore dresses to school.  SHE loved winter as then it was okay to wear jeans under your skirt.  You can't really be a tomboy in a dress.  SHE never lost the tomboyness.  Bicycling, tennis and rock climbing along with anything else outdoors became adulthood pleasures. SHE would lay in the grass with the kids that lived across the street from her just to look at the sky,  amazing those parents.

That said,  I was surprised to find SHE had this girly bottle of Shalimar.  SHE quietly said it was a gift so I didn't pursue more information but certainly someone saw her feminine side. Truly, SHE had one. Rarely did SHE dress up but when SHE did it was like watching the butterflies in her backyard.  Maybe SHE knew all along SHE was a cocoon at heart but transformed once in a while to show the rest of us SHE could be a butterfly if she wanted to.  SHE said SHE didn't wear the perfume really but clearly some was missing.  I am not sure how long SHE had it before I spied it mixed in with other things on her vanity, my limited research found this particular bottle possibly dates back to 1978, who knows?  When I would visit every now and then I would ask to try some.  It has become a lasting memory as smells certainly conjure up emotional remembrances.  I will keep this Shalimar, save it for special days when I need her close.

No comments:

Post a Comment